Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy games are getting worse

Grand Shriner
    I think that every element of Final Fantasy are there in Final Fantasy XII save for the battle system. Changes are so denied by everyone when things come to it. Final Fantasy XII was amazing, and the battle system actually kept my attention, and I loved it.

Final Fantasy will never die.

Also, there was probally just as much debate when the ATB system was first introduced to Final Fantasy, but that is a variation that turned out to be for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hynad View Post
    The world Map problem will get resolved at some point in the future. Starting with FFX, S-E decided to keep all of the graphics in proportions. But the problem with that is that the PS2 cannot possibly put a wolrd map on screen and keep the graphic quality of FFX or XII. So they had to come up with this corridor compromise that makes the games feel like you're always in a dungeon.

But with the advent of technology and CPU power, at one point in time, the graphics will be good enough that it will be possible for the devs to make the entire game using a "world map" setup where everything is in proportions and seemless. Streaming the graphics in real time as you wonder from one location to the next, without having to rely on black loading screens.

When will that happen is an other question.
    i wish they wouldnt make decisions like that
    its like spending 50 thousand dollars on a car with no wheels
    just spend less and get the whole pakage

i see where your coming from

Workin' for the city! Bus Driver's Avatar
    I can more or less agree that the FF games are beginning to fade. I enjoyed the early FF games as well as those on the PS, but now it just seems like something's missing.

FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX were all great games, IMO. I enjoyed the storyline/characters in each game as well as what the setting/music had to offer. There were flaws, but were all very enjoyable games.

FF Tactics, been a while since I played this one but I loved it. The storyline was straight forward and sometimes it works better that way. As for the battle system, once you had some experience it was fun and challenging.

FFX, the story/characters were good as well as the music, and the graphics blew me away at the time (then again FF's tend to do that). This one didn't hit the spot quite like the others did but overall was a very good game, the last before Square-Enix really started.

FFX-2 - I tried it and just could never get into it. Everything was done top notch, but with any FF game a sequel more or less ruins it.

FF VII Sequels (Movies, Games ect.) - I've said this before and I'll say it again, a basic remake would be okay. But as for everything else, not necessary.

FFXII - I'm thinking of giving this one another run, I just couldn't get into it. But I may give it another try.

FFXIII - We can only hope...
    "This is where I'm supposed to say something to catch your attention" - Bus Driver

Damn your shenanigans! - Bus Driver

That's the sad part about remakes of video games. There's always alittle change in the remakes of the older games (GBA Final Fantasies, RE Remake etc.) which will never be the same of the older versions. That's my biggest video game pet peeve. The old ones become hard to impossible to get a hold of, but then they get remade. No problem right? Wrong. It will never be the same. So Bus Driver, on the Game Boy Advance remakes of Final Fantasies, they did take out some features or does it just seem that way?

Speaking of which, I happen to be playing Final Fantasy II on Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls (still playing Chrono Trigger, but started FFII way back before starting Chrono Trigger so I'd rather finish what I first started).
    Check out my Resident Evil & Silent Hill Quote Quiz:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa Rinoa View Post
    That's the sad part about remakes of video games. There's always alittle change in the remakes of the older games (GBA Final Fantasies, RE Remake etc.) which will never be the same of the older versions. That's my biggest video game pet peeve. The old ones become hard to impossible to get a hold of, but then they get remade. No problem right? Wrong. It will never be the same. So Bus Driver, on the Game Boy Advance remakes of Final Fantasies, they did take out some features or does it just seem that way?

Speaking of which, I happen to be playing Final Fantasy II on Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls (still playing Chrono Trigger, but started FFII way back before starting Chrono Trigger so I'd rather finish what I first started).
    I feel for you, playing Final Fantasy II.

I really feel for you and I wish you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AmethystRose View Post
    I feel for you, playing Final Fantasy II.

I really feel for you and I wish you the best of luck.

So I take it you played it?

I think it's actually (well Dawn of Souls version) quite easy as Hell imo .

I admit it was alittle harder at first, but it's getting sickengly easy XD. I'm already on Chapter 11 in the game.

I came, I saw, I levelled up. FF1WithAllThieves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Also how can an improvement ruin a game? if it wasn't for improvements we'd all be playing with sprites on a 2d disproportional canvas.
    Play Super Mario Bros. 3. There has never, ever, EVER been a game made that is more fun than that one, it can be replayed over and over, and nobody ever complains about the graphics. I really feel like the world was better off when video games chucked realism completely out the window. I'm not saying that innovations in graphics have necessarily ruined video games, but they haven't really made games more fun.
    Johannes Brahms is God.

Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner. Hynad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FF1WithAllThieves View Post
    Play Super Mario Bros. 3. There has never, ever, EVER been a game made that is more fun than that one, it can be replayed over and over, and nobody ever complains about the graphics. I really feel like the world was better off when video games chucked realism completely out the window. I'm not saying that innovations in graphics have necessarily ruined video games, but they haven't really made games more fun.
    While SMB 3 is indeed among the best games ever made, I have to say that IMO, Super Metroid is the absolute best game ever.

Other than that, I back the rest of your comment.

Pure and Simple DE GRANDE FREAK's Avatar
    Ahe hem! I think we were talking about Final Fantasy! I liked FFVII, but the contreversy of " One character must die " kind of threw me off there

The darkness writhes. execrable gumwrapper's Avatar
    While SMB 3 is indeed among the best games ever made, I have to say that IMO, Super Metroid is the absolute best game ever.

Other than that, I back the rest of your comment.
    IMO, Secret of Mana trumps it all!

so were agreed?
    2d sprites beat 3d models any day of the week

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashInPeace View Post
    so were agreed?
    Hey it's like the saying goes, you can't beat the classics !

Grand Shriner
    So I take it you played it?

I think it's actually (well Dawn of Souls version) quite easy as Hell imo .

I admit it was alittle harder at first, but it's getting sickengly easy XD. I'm already on Chapter 11 in the game.
    I have played both versions.

And I still think that Pandemonium (In Final Fantasy II) and The World of Darkness (The World of Darkness being from Final Fantasy III) are the most frustrating things in any Final Fantasy game. Save for Wakka, Zell and Selphie's haricuts.

It went from hard, to kinda easy to even damn harder.

But maybe I just didn't get it right.

Grand Shriner
    so were agreed?
    Agreed!

It's a Denise original! Marshall Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DE GRANDE FREAK View Post
    Ahe hem! I think we were talking about Final Fantasy! I liked FFVII, but the contreversy of " One character must die " kind of threw me off there
    Get a damn gameshark and shark the bitch in already, sheesh

The darkness writhes. execrable gumwrapper's Avatar
    Hey it's like the saying goes, you can't beat the classes !
    Uh... you mean classics?

FF Fanartist and Fanwriter
    There were a few reasons which made me from a 'FF-Hater' to a 'FF-Lover'.
    First off, it was an RPG and a hell of an RPG at that. The game had good longtivity, and the story was nothing I had experianced before. Yes indeed, I did not like FFV very much... but that was when I was stupid and understood nothing -.-

Recently I got ahold of FFVIII which changed my opinion of the series, followed after by FFVII which I thought was going to be better than 8, but my perceptions were wrong. Square-Enix will have there weaknesses on occasion and it also depends on the players perception of the games.

What really interested me was the ATB system, which I'm pretty sure they don't implement in such a classic way as they used to, but what made it different from most turn-based RPGs, it didn't feel turn-based. It also took on story aspects that I had never comprehended in an RPG. Thats a hard feeling to explain, but its the reason I now prefer Final Fantasy to some of my old favourites like Breath Of Fire and Shining Force.

You can have your ideas if you wish that FF is getting worse, personally to me this francise won't last forever.

Pure and Simple DE GRANDE FREAK's Avatar
    Well, I think that Square-Enix has a mastery of "Graphking". Plus, you can't beat a lot of the latter games graphicks. Plus, Even in FFXII, a lot of aspects are still there.* like the spells(Cure, Cura, Curaga, ect...), But for some reasons they neglected the classic summons! Plus, the spells are kind of different in FFVII (Regen1, Regen2, Regen3, etc...) Also, they added Technicks in XII, which was helpful. So, change is/was good/bad!

On the lookout for terrorists and liberals. Ceidwad's Avatar
    But with the advent of technology and CPU power, at one point in time, the graphics will be good enough that it will be possible for the devs to make the entire game using a "world map" setup where everything is in proportions and seemless. Streaming the graphics in real time as you wonder from one location to the next, without having to rely on black loading screens.

When will that happen is an other question.
    I honestly don't care about the loading screens. In fact, without them I'd probably cause permanent damage to my eyes from staring at the screen for so long.

I'm not saying such a feat wouldn't be impressive, but it's hardly something I'm going to lose any sleep over. Frankly, I'd be more worried about a whole host of other things.

I also don't think having graphics in proportion is really that big a deal either, and the compromise of losing the world map was a little disappointing.

As for the general topic, the FF series has had good, bad and mediocre games throughout its history. I'd agree that the last few games weren't as good as say, FFX or FFIX, but in no way do I think the series has gone, or is going, downhill. The series is just in a transitional phase due to various advancements and SE is trying to keep up with those and thus is having to spend less time on the basics of character development and plot design, hence the underdeveloped characters of FFXII, for example. When gaming technology settles down, the series will return to its best, I hope. Also, the less crappy spin-off titles (read: FFVII spin-offs) they do, the better it will be for the main series.

It's a Denise original! Marshall Lee's Avatar
    so were agreed?
    8bit graphics can own a completely CGI made game so long as the plot clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceidwad_yr_Arfau View Post
    I honestly don't care about the loading screens. In fact, without them I'd probably cause permanent damage to my eyes from staring at the screen for so long.

I'm not saying such a feat wouldn't be impressive, but it's hardly something I'm going to lose any sleep over. Frankly, I'd be more worried about a whole host of other things.

I also don't think having graphics in proportion is really that big a deal either, and the compromise of losing the world map was a little disappointing.
    Are you only trying to make a fool of yourself? Or do you just want to contradict me for no reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Gin_Sunshine View Post
    8bit graphics can own a completely CGI made game so long as the plot clicks.
    It certainly can... haha.

However,

I don't think Final Fantasy is going downhill. If you have a series with 11 main installments, one MMO, several remakes and spin-off titles it going to have it's good moments and bad moments. I thought FFXII was one of the better games.

The franchise probably isn't going anywhere. With each new game they make they get to implement new characters, gameplay mechanics, and stories so the series doesn't get stale... yet they also have created a universe that's familiar.

It's a winning formula I guess.
    I'm no hero... never was.

On the lookout for terrorists and liberals. Ceidwad's Avatar
    Are you only trying to make a fool of yourself? Or do you just want to contradict me for no reason?
    I'm agreeing with you Hynad - I was simply adding my approval to what you said. That may not have been clear, since it was 1:14 AM BST when I posted that and I was probably half asleep.

Regardless, you clearly have some sort of issue with me, since you seem to have taken to attacking every random post I make. You were at it before in the LP/Sphere Grid thread and now here.

Daughter of Fate Laughing-Raven's Avatar
    The only true wtf moment Ive truely seen was FFX-2, I really thought X was better storyline wise and since all the aeons got killed the fun got sucked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceidwad_yr_Arfau View Post
    Regardless, you clearly have some sort of issue with me, since you seem to have taken to attacking every random post I make. You were at it before in the LP/Sphere Grid thread and now here.
    That's strange. Because I could have said the exact same thing to you.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast