Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Top 10 greatest (AND MOST CREATIVE) RPG's of all time!

Lightbulb Top 10 greatest (AND MOST CREATIVE) RPG's of all time!

Ok, what do you think is the top 10 greatest RPG's of all time, can include anything... computer, FF, whatever... here is my list, these are the best games I have played, and are the most fun IMO... and not copy's off other games

1. Crono Trigger
    2. Secret of Mana
    3. Final Fantasy 6
    4. Star Ocean 2
    5. Final Fantasy X
    6. Xenogears
    7. Legend of Dragoon
    8. Super Mario RPG
    9. Legend of Lagia
    10. Earthbound

Yeah... thats my list alright... I love those games... I wonder if I forgot soemthing... hmmm

Tal
    1. Dungeons & Dragons. Because its up to the players what to do, there is no set course, replay value is 100%, and you can do anything.
    2. Chrono Trigger i guess. I really havent played too many other RPGS besides the FFs
    3. Final Fantasy 7
    4. Final Fantasy 6
    5. Final Fantasy 9
    6. Final Fantasy 8
    7. Baldurs Gate 2.
    8. dunno
    World of Warcraft is the ONLY game to play nowadays. If your not on it, your not truly living.

my avatar is a parody Rabid Monkey's Avatar
    Though there are several topics similar to this one, I just can't resist...

1. Dragon Warrior (Quest I) - It was the FIRST real RPG for a console. Others had been attempted before, but DW was the first to pull it off.

2. Final Fantasy - Again, much like DW it revolutionized the way RPG's were thought of. It was the first RPG (to my knowledge) for a console that had more than a one character party.

3. The Legend of Zelda - This was (again, to my knowledge) the first action adventure RPG, leading the way for future games such as Crystals, the Wanders From Y's series, and The Secret of Evermore to name a few.

4. Dragon Warrior (Quest) 4 – My personal favorite RPG of all time, however not as innovative as the proceeding 3 games. I could go on forever about how incredible this game is but instead I will leave it as simply: a landmark game to say the least.

5. The Illusion of Gaia - Yes, it is above many of the other RPGs in my opinion because the plot was incredible and the story was amazing.

6. The Bard's Tale - An incredible computer game for its time. For those who don't know what it is, you create a party of 1-5 (or 6, I can't remember how many) characters. It was one of the first RPG's to feature both night and day along with a MANY challenging puzzles along the way. Excellent RPG.

7. Kings Quest - Another great RPG for the computer. Though no battles took place that you could control it was a very good game for its time.

8. Final Fantasy 7 - In the 8th slot only because it was the first RPG to show what could be done with the Playstation, however, the FF's got better as far as graphics went so obviously it wasn't used to its full potential in that sense. The only reason it is here instead of 8 or 9 is because I can't stand 8's story and junction system and 9 was way too simple. FF7 on the other hand had a fairly good story and was more challenging then the three following FFs for the system.

9. Orge Battle - Long before there was Final Fantasy Tactics or any other stratagy RPG there was Orge Battle. Granted several came before it, but OB revolutionized the way strategy/RPG games were thought of.

10. Xenogears - A very good battle system and all around good game.

Honorable Mention:

Chrono Trigger - ONLY because it was one of few games after FF6 that each character had its own set of skills to learn.

Final Fantasy X - Again, the trend setter for a system like FF1 and FF7

Zelda 64 - Decent story, but more importantly, first RPG for the 64 to utilize the full capacity of the system.

Super Mario RPG – No particular reason actually, just a very fun game…well that and my nick name is Smitty

MAJOR EDIT: 7th Saga - This SHOULD have been like number 5 or 6 on my list but I completly forgot about it and I am too lazy to change the order. This is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Great story, excellent graphics for the time, and inovative gameplay...God, can't believe I forgot to mention it!
    In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush. We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore. If this is evolution, I believe that in 12 years, we'll be voting for plants.
    -- Lewis Black

1. Final Fantasy X
    2. Final Fantasy VIII
    3. Lunar 2: Enternal Blue Complete
    4. Final Fantasy IX
    5. RPG maker
    6. Final Fantasy VII
    7. Pokemon Crystal
    8. Pokemon G/S
    9. Pokemon R/B
    - I havent really played more than that..
    My Loyal Pirate Crew
    Zachary- CAPTIAN
    Gunner_Yuna- 2ND IN COMMAND
    General Pizza- NAVIGATOR
    User Name- SHARPSHOOTER
    Danielsan246- COOK
    Cloud Strife26- 3RD IN COMMAND
    Angelic Aeris- COOK 2
    Katriona- 2ND SHARPSHOOTER
    LEELOO5- SAILOR
    Selphie- ENTERTAINER
    Mercanary- 3RD SHARPSHOOTER
    Ashin- 2ND ENTERTAINER
    Ndi- COOK 3

Kisho- 3RD NAVIGATOR

Kie
    1. FF7 (you bet you forgot something psychosid)
    2. Legend of Mana
    3. FF9
    4. Legend of Dragoon
    5. Golden Sun
    6. FF6
    7. FF5
    8. FF8
    9. FFTactics
    10. FF10
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Sparkster has been saved!! Rocket Knight on PS3 out now Took 8 years but was worth it!

1. Final Fantasy 6
    2. Chrono Trigger
    3. Final Fantasy Tactics
    4. Final Fantasy 7
    5. Final Fantasy 4
    6. Final Fantasy 9
    7. Chrono Cross
    8. Final Fantasy 8
    9. Legend of Dragoon
    10. Legend of Legaia
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Blues-Rock - Just trying to get some hard working musicians attention.

Onion Kid

1. Chrono Trigger
    2. Final Fantasy 3/6
    3. Final Fantasy 10
    4. Final Fantasy Tactics
    5. Earthbound
    6. Live a Live
    7. Breath of Fire III
    8. Baldurs Gate I / II
    9. Parasite Eve II
    10. Saga Frontier

My list looks kind of Squaresoft bias.. but eh.. all good games.

Where'd all the pink Elephants come from??!! Renmazuo's Avatar
    1. Chrono Trigger
    2. Xenogears
    3. Final Fantasy tactics
    4. Lunar- they have a really interestin battle system don't they
    5. Final Fantasy 9 - the first in a long line of ff's to use 4 people since ff6
    6. FF7 - the first adapted to the playstation
    7. FF10 -sphere grid.....enough said
    8. FF8 - guardian and equiping magic was a good idea
    9. Star Ocean 2- I like being able to move around on a battlefield
    10. Chrono Cross - *ducks for cover don't shoot me!! I have to admit that I like it's battle system and element system

This beautiful Sig is by Fusion (ain't it great)
    The Avatar is by Akira Strider, ask him for one he does a great job.

Originally posted by Cloud
    1. FF7 (you bet you forgot something psychosid)
    Indeed I did, but it isnt FF7, though it was inovative, there are better games... it does deserve honorable mention though

The game I think I should replace on my list (Earthbound) will be replaced with a much more interesting game.. IMO... which is BoF4... ok now here is my reasonings behind those games

1. Crono Trigger- Probably one of the greatest RPG's of all time IMO... good music, interesting story line, battles are fun, skills techs, I just love this game
    2. Secret of Mana- I dunno why, but this game just cought my gaming hands, and I found it fun and interesting, I think it was how battling was done
    3. Final Fantasy 6- This one hooked me on FF... I had played the first, but this one... story, characters, skills, magic, I love it all....
    4. Star Ocean 2- One of the most creative RPG's of all time, it really took things on a different route, with skills, and abilities, and the moving around on the battles, compatability and private actions, item creation... great game
    5. Final Fantasy X- I dunno, I liked how things run, and it has Auron... that alone is enough... just a unique idea, cought my intrest
    6. Xenogears- I liked the gears and deathblows
    7. Legend of Dragoon - additions and dragoons... need I say more?
    8. Super Mario RPG- GENO! naw, just an interesting game, fun gameplay (Short) but extreemly fun and interesting
    9. Legend of Lagia- I love the battle system
    10. Breath of Fire 4- Meditation, interesting story, fun to play... it just rocks

interesting choices...i never really heard of a lot of them...im not a hardcore rpger...(me prefer sports most)

well lets see, the rpgs i liked were the phantasy star series and shining force series of the sega genesis, might and magic series of PC, and chrono trigger and final fantasy games.
    Poor FFS chat...

I'll make it there. I must be living in the past...

I'll get 500 posts eventually...

the one and only
    All pc games and snes
    ------------------
    Final Fantasy VIII - the ULTIMA game
    Diablo
    Zelda
    Might and Magic VI
    Baulders gate
    Chrono Trigger
    -------------------
    I dont play that mutch rpg games... You proberly wonder why i havnt mention all the other FF games, i dont have PS2 so i cant play FF9 and FF10. I`ve played FF1-5 but not that mutch to get a good impression of the games... sinze i dont play rpg that mutch. FF6 i have on snes but its on japanis version and i dont understand that. FF7 (dont have PS), were the hell can i buy that game?

Originally posted by $quall Leonhart
    I dont play that mutch rpg games... You proberly wonder why i havnt mention all the other FF games, i dont have PS2 so i cant play FF9 and FF10. I`ve played FF1-5 but not that mutch to get a good impression of the games... sinze i dont play rpg that mutch. FF6 i have on snes but its on japanis version and i dont understand that. FF7 (dont have PS), were the hell can i buy that game?
    Few things, FF9 is for the psx, not the ps2. I doubt you've played FF2 or FF3 because the only way you can get them now is being VERY lucking and finding a good English translation in rom form (but we won't talk about that). And if you're looking for FF7 on the PC (because you said you don’t have a psx or a ps2) I would try online shopping...just checking out amazon.com or something...

Jimmy Carr in Jamaican Accent: "Jamaica" Bahamut ZERO's Avatar
    Okay, I've probably only played like 10 RPGs anyway (looks to be flamed.) So I'll just do a top 5 instead... Okay?

1.) Final Fantasy VII. The grandaddy of them all. The RPG that redefined the genre. The first game to show the true potential of the Playstation. The first RPG that blew away the stigmata of the RPG being a geek's game. A mainstream game that everyone played, and that my friends and I spent many a Science lesson at school discussing various tactics.

2.) Alundra. Toughy in at number 2, but the longevity of this game is enough for me to put it here. I loved the characters, the exploration aspect, the story and wished that Alundra 2 had been more like this game.

3.) Grandia. Just edged out by Alundra. So far, I haven't been able to replay through this game, but I still love it. The storyline is either as good or maybe even better than any Final Fantasy game I've played. The characters all have motives in the game and the final result is beautiful and has often moved me to tears.

4.) Suikoden. The first one was slightly better than the second, in that it was trickier to get the 108 characters that formed the stars of destiny, or whatever it was. Still a very good game, in spite of SNES like graphics.

5.) (Really tough to put this here, but...) Shining Force 2. WHY IS THIS GAME HERE!!! I hear you cry. Well, it was the first RPG I ever played and has earned a special place in my heart. I played through it so many times, it's uncanny. I loved the game, I loved the characters, I loved the storyline, and it's what got me addicted to the RPG genre in the first place.

(Note:- Final Fantasys VIII and IX are good, but not in my top 5. Final Fantasy VI hasn't been played all the way through yet, and X isn't even available in Europe yet.)

Tal
    So...none of you have played Dungeons and Dragons?

Im doing top 5 because I dont like to list them. and Im basing them off creativity.

1) Chrono Tigger-(Come on, we travel back in time without Christopher Llyoyds help)

2) Legend of Zelda-(I consider it a RPG)

3) Secret of Mana-(Just plain fun)

4) Heroes of Might and Magic-(actually is a strategy RPG)

5) Chrono Cross-(I like the battle system)

And Im afraid Vir that Kings Quest is not even close to a RPG, although a fun series.
    I'm not the best...

I'm just real good!

1) Blood Omen2 (it isn't an actual RPG but it gets close)
    2) Final Fantasy 7
    3) Final Fantasy 6
    4) Baldurs Gate 2
    5) Pool of Radiance
    6) Soul Reaver 2 (it isn't an actual RPG but it gets close)
    7) Heroes of Might&Magic 4 (strategy RPG)
    8) Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption
    9) DiabloII
    10) Ultima 9

Originally posted by Nanaki XIII
    And Im afraid Vir that Kings Quest is not even close to a RPG, although a fun series.
    And why is that?

Onizuka Aqua Rhapsody FunkyMonkey's Avatar
    1.FFX
    2.FFVII
    3.FFVIII
    4.FFIX
    5.Legend of Dragoon
    6.Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
    7.Chrono Trigger
    8.Chrono Cross
    9.FF4
    10.Xenogears
    *Hic* BOOM Ohhhhhh!
    ~[Hidden link. Register to see links.]~

Humph.

My only real RPG's are Zelda and Gauntlet Legends (?) I'm just now getting into Final Fantasy, never played it, never owned it. But I am highly excited for FFXI!

So i guess just Zelda.

Mabye Mario or Yoshi's Island, lol.

Sig Pic done by Triple F, Thanks ^_^!

MSN Messenger

cowardly_dog@hotmail.com

...whatever...
    Anyone ever played NOX? Best RPG IMO
    Deadmeat

God of all small furry animals whos destiny it is
    to end life with a short, crunchy 'sqeak'.

Re: Humph.

Originally posted by Death Knight
    My only real RPG's are Zelda and Gauntlet Legends
    I love GL, my cousin and I were hooked on it for about two weeks straght...then Christmas Break ended... Anyway...I was looking through because I forgot to mention Lufia I and II under my extra's section... I think the story could have used a little work, but the gameplay was amazing...

Grand Shriner
    1. Final Fantasy 7
    2. Final Fantasy 10
    3. Final Fantasy 9
    4. Final Fantasy 6/3
    5. Final Fantasy 4/2
    6. Final Fantasy Tacktics
    7. Legand of Dragoon
    8. Chrono Cross
    9. Chrono Trigger
    10. Parasite Eve 1 and 2
    11. Vagrent Story

no questions, the best, the other ones i just didnt like, or to boring, or to short.

ssj10Goku
    Greg
    "Goku"

i wonder

I head FFIX sucks badly but some people still rank it quite highly, seeing as to how I've never played FF before, what gives it its ranks?

FFIX gets creativity from me from the emmense amount of minigames, the creatively thought up characters, and the whole fantasy atmosphere. Not for its plot or gameplay. In fact it wasnt even in my top 5, but is creative as far as RPGs go.

Hmm..

1. The Final Fantasy Series (just to say short or the whole list ould be composed of FF)

2. Dragon Warrior Series
    3. Legend of Legia
    4.Illusion of Gaia
    5. Chrono Cross
    6. Phantasy Star IV
    7. Zelda Series
    8.....x.x;

Probably are some more, but I can't think of 'em right now. BTW, these aren't in order. ^^

Hokay, anyway...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast