Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS1 RPG'S...(Full List of Every PS1 RPG)

Shriner

PS1 RPG'S...(Full List of Every PS1 RPG)

Hi all, the following is a full list of every PS1 RPG or Action RPG ever made in the USA. I was wondering which one of these games would be worth purchasing? I want to start collecting PS1 RPG's by the way, so which one of these would you all recommend? (NOTE: Bolded, underlined RPG's I already own.)

Alundra
    Alundra 2
    Arc the Lad Collection
    Azure Dream
    Battle Hunter
    Beyond the Beyond
    Brave Fencer Musashi
    Breath of Fire III
    Breath of Fire IV

Brigandine
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Chrono Cross
    Chocobo's Dungeon 2
    Darkstone
    Diablo
    Digimon World
    Digimon World 2
    Digimon World 3
    Dragon Seeds
    Dragon Valor
    Dragon Warrior VII
    Eternal Eyes
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy Anthology
    Final Fantasy Chronicles
    Final Fantasy Origins
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Front Mission 3
    Grandia
    Granstream Saga
    Guardian's Crusade
    Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
    Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
    Jade Cocoon
    Kartia: Word of Fate
    King's Field
    King's Field II
    Koudelka
    Legend of Dragoon
    Legend of Legaia
    Legend of Mana
    Legacy of Kain, Blood Omen
    Lunar Silver Star Story Box Set
    Lunar II Eternal Blue Box Set
    Monster Seed
    Ogre Battle
    Parasite Eve
    Parasite Eve 2
    Persona
    Persona II: Eternal Punishment
    Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
    RPG Maker
    Saga Frontier
    Saga Frontier 2
    Saiyuki: Journey West
    Shadow Madness
    Shadow Tower
    Star Ocean: Second Story
    Suikoden (**Only own downloaded version on PSN, not original copy)
    Suikoden II
    Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
    Tales of Destiny
    Tales of Destiny II
    Thousand Arms
    Threads of Fate
    Torneko: The Last Hope
    Vagrant Story
    Valkyrie Profile
    Vandal Hearts
    Vandal Hearts II
    Vanguard Bandits
    Wild Arms
    Wild Arms 2
    Xenogears

*EDIT: Updated list... (1/29/2014)
    Last edited by MastaM; 01-29-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Parasite Eve

Get these two ASAP.
    Everything about Parasite Eve is pure awesomeness, the battle system is awesome, the graphics are also great, the storyline is great & hooking, the soundtrack too, there's New Game+ with a something new to explore, so there's replayability. You can't miss this one.

Castlevania SOTN is the best title you'll ever see to give the best use to the MetroidVania formula, there's plenty to explore, awesome soundtrack, the gameplay is very variated, summon familiars, cast spells with button combinaton, shapeshifting, lot of equipment, relics. Epic boss fights. This game is very very fun.

Then I'll reccommend you:

Both Suikoden, I didn't finished neither of both, but the storyline is very intriguing, the thing is that the battle system kind of sucks.

Legend Of Mana, this game is fun, it's a very non-linear RPG.

Both Vandal Hearts, again, intriguing storyline, but I'm not a fan of TRPG's even though I love FFT.

Front Mission 3, You'll have some fun on this one. TRPG with Mechas beating the crap out of them.

both Tales Of. The battle system on this series is purely awesome & fun. It's like a fighting game.

Koudelka, the gameplay sucks in almost every single way, but the characters are purely awesome, very realistic personalities & very memorable dialogues.

There's still a lot of RPG's that I didn't played yet. Hail the PSX
    V for Valhalla

Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    Parasite Eve

Get these two ASAP.
    Everything about Parasite Eve is pure awesomeness, the battle system is awesome, the graphics are also great, the storyline is great & hooking, the soundtrack too, there's New Game+ with a something new to explore, so there's replayability. You can't miss this one.

Castlevania SOTN is the best title you'll ever see to give the best use to the MetroidVania formula, there's plenty to explore, awesome soundtrack, the gameplay is very variated, summon familiars, cast spells with button combinaton, shapeshifting, lot of equipment, relics. Epic boss fights. This game is very very fun.

Then I'll reccommend you:

Both Suikoden, I didn't finished neither of both, but the storyline is very intriguing, the thing is that the battle system kind of sucks.

Legend Of Mana, this game is fun, it's a very non-linear RPG.

Both Vandal Hearts, again, intriguing storyline, but I'm not a fan of TRPG's even though I love FFT.

Front Mission 3, You'll have some fun on this one. TRPG with Mechas beating the crap out of them.

both Tales Of. The battle system on this series is purely awesome & fun. It's like a fighting game.

Koudelka, the gameplay sucks in almost every single way, but the characters are purely awesome, very realistic personalities & very memorable dialogues.

There's still a lot of RPG's that I didn't played yet. Hail the PSX
    SOTN rox...though it's really more of a sidescroller/action game than RPG, with rpg elements.

I own parasite eve and i must say it is insane. You can move everywhere during battle and that is quite intuitive to rpgs, but the story is pretty weird...mitochondria take over people and make them go aflame, youre the only person who doesnt go aflame and somehow you're related to "mitochandria eve" aka 1st "woman" in the world.

Still, I recommend.
    Look!
    It's a flash animator!
    It's a VGM remixer!
    No, it's INSANE!

[url]http://recorderdude.newgrounds.com/

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    SOTN rox...though it's really more of a sidescroller/action game than RPG, with rpg elements.

I own parasite eve and i must say it is insane. You can move everywhere during battle and that is quite intuitive to rpgs, but the story is pretty weird...mitochondria take over people and make them go aflame, youre the only person who doesnt go aflame and somehow you're related to "mitochandria eve" aka 1st "woman" in the world.

Still, I recommend.
    Yeah Parasite Eve is INSANE, in the good way.
    About SOTN you're right, but it still rocks. I'm a castlevania fanboy practically xD.

Shriner
    Cool I will proabably purchase Parasite Eve then. Any other good games fromt he list recommended for purchase?

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    That's all of them, really?

Huh, I'd swear there were more...

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by tanis_lionheart View Post
    That's all of them, really?

Huh, I'd swear there were more...
    If you can name some more, feel free to add. I am pretty sure if that is not 100% of the list, it's close. And some of those are not true RPG's at that; some are sub RPG's or have RPG elements to them.

I'm more of a PS2 fan myself, so that could be why it looks so small.

================================================== =========
    Breath of Fire III
    Breath of Fire IV
    Chrono Cross
    Diablo - Better on the PC
    Dragon Warrior VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy Anthology
    Final Fantasy Chronicles
    Final Fantasy Origins
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Front Mission 3
    Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
    Legend of Dragoon
    Ogre Battle
    Parasite Eve
    Parasite Eve 2
    Persona - Better on the PSP
    Persona II: Eternal Punishment
    Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
    Saiyuki: Journey West
    Star Ocean: Second Story
    Suikoden II
    Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
    Threads of Fate
    Vagrant Story
    Valkyrie Profile
    Wild Arms 2
    Xenogears
    =======================

Those are the RPGs I can honestly say I liked to some extent or another.
    Haven't played most of that list actually.

He named only the American releases, there are a lot more, that weren't released in america or europe

Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    He named only the American releases, there are a lot more, that weren't released in america or europe
    True.

Some of the better ones were never released state side.

Thank god for emulation and English patches.
    ^_^

Shriner
    Yeah, these were all American releases.

I liked (out of the games you mentioned): Grandia, Parasite Eve, Suikoden, Star Ocean: The 2nd Story, Koudelka, and Persona.

Rhapsody is like the super easiest RPG I've ever played. Pancake special just literally destroys nearly everything.

Be Ready When The Sh*t Goes Down The Terminator's Avatar
    I'd still give Castlevania Symphony of the Night a look at just for the hell of it. It's a possible candidate for being my all time favorite game. Even if it's not much of an rpg game in the sense of like gripping story and battle systems. It does have a more side scrolling action rpg type of gameplay in the style of metroid with lots of areas to explore, hidden weapons, upgrades, spells etc. The music is great, it has a darkly atmospheric feel to it making it one of the most memorable soundtracks from the PSone game library. It's a cult classic that defines the castlevania series.

If you're looking more at a rpg similar to that of Final Fantasy, I'd give Parasite Eve a try. It was one of those short lived cult series made by Square. It's my favorite game outside of Final Fantasy that Square did. The music is great once again. The gameplay is pretty cool, it has a turn based battle system but you can still move to dodge projectiles, which makes for an interesting feature for a turn based rpg battle system. The story of the game was actually based on the sci-fi horror novel also titled "Parasite Eve" written by Hideaki Sena. It takes a little bit to follow but it's quite unique and interesting.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Techchild the Deathbringer Techchild's Avatar
    Xenogears

Legend of Legaia, Legend of Dragoon and Dragon Valor are all very good games.

On a forgotten page of eternity
    There lies a land embraced by mighty gods.
    Her name... Eorzea.

Techchild the Deathbringer Techchild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshvoide View Post
    I liked (out of the games you mentioned): Grandia, Parasite Eve, Suikoden, Star Ocean: The 2nd Story, Koudelka, and Persona.

Rhapsody is like the super easiest RPG I've ever played. Pancake special just literally destroys nearly everything.
    How the hell could I forget Koudelka??? One of the best games ever made.

Victim of Fate Knight From Beyond's Avatar
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is easily my favorite PSX RPG. The only problem is it cost quite a bit.
    One day I'll travel from the east to the west, and tap into the hidden strengths that all men possess.

Suikoden II and Grandia, for sure! They are brilliant.

Star Ocean Second Story (Im still playing the game now, i actually never played it before 3.)
    SOTN - Everything about the game is a must have including the song Dance of pales which may give you an eargasm.
    Tales of Destiny - I'm just now playing this game.
    Tales of Destiny 2 (Tales of Eternia) - Good game beaten it a few its one of the better Tales games.
    Tatics Ogre - Never played it but I've heard its like FFT so it must be good considering its made by the same guy.
    Legend of Mana and Legaia - GET THEM. It's somewhat like the old zelda games. IMO

the great eye is ever watchful...

Star Ocean Second Story (Im still playing the game now, i actually never played it before 3.)
    SOTN - Everything about the game is a must have including the song Dance of pales which may give you an eargasm.
    Tales of Destiny - I'm just now playing this game.
    Tales of Destiny 2 (Tales of Eternia) - Good game beaten it a few its one of the better Tales games.
    Tatics Ogre - Never played it but I've heard its like FFT so it must be good considering its made by the same guy.
    Legend of Mana and Legaia - GET THEM. It's somewhat like the old zelda games. IMO

Legend of Dragoon - It got me hooked on the RPG and if I had never played that at such a young age I never would have got into Final Fantasy, and therefore probably never would have built up a tolerance for cut scenes that fill up games (like in FF and MGS). If I never got into those japanese type RPG/Action games then I probably never would have been much of a gamer at all! I owe everything to this game

Great i'm a sadistic evil person with a wing sticking out of his back. F***ing Fantastic. Oh well at least I have a big sword

I recommend alundra 1 & 2, star ocean 2 is nice aswell suikoden 1 & 2 though i reckon it might be hard to get them I spent 60 purchasing a replacement suikoden 1 & 70 getting the sequel breath of fire 3 & 4 and persona 2 ive been collecting old ps1 titles myself for a few years now and I've pretty much bought most of the (IMO) best RPGs released in the UK but now I'm trying to get some US games I have to say you guys are lucky when it comes to RPG releases!
    straight from sunny old england!!

Onion Kid
    My 2 favorite Psx games would be FF9 and Legend of Dragoon. FF9 had the best storyline out of all the Final Fantasy games on the psx and Legend of Dragoon is so good for me I would play it again if I owned it right now and I've beaten it 4 times already. FF8 is close behind those two as well.

Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Suikodens, Xenogears, honestly, just about every RPG for the PSX is wonderful in its own special way, except for Beyond the Beyond, Fuck that shit.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Blues-Rock - Just trying to get some hard working musicians attention.

I beat Beyond the Beyond... the battle system was sorta like Super Mario RPG, but um more horrible. Having a turbo controller helps, but the story is bland. I only liked one song which was 'Triumph'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast