Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21252627282930313233 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: best rpg you've played?

-Lost odyssey - one of the very few good things in my opinion that microsoft did, they stuck with the turnbased style rpg an it was damn awesome, only downfall was the villain was pretty pathetic. But all in all if you're lookin for a remake of any of the older final fantasy's, still far from it, but this is as close as you will get to one in a long time. i highly consider that you purchase this game if you like any final fantasy that came before 11

-chrono cross - beautiful animation , awesome characters, excellent story. I personally actually take cross over trigger anyday

-of course ff4 through 10 - need i explain?

- infinite undiscovery - i loved the battle system and the need of teamwork in this game, battle system still isn't as good as the simple turn based but was my most favorite out of most other rpg's that did not have it.

- last but not least, The Last Remnant - i didn't beat it yet but so far its pretty bad ass for only costing me 14.99, downfall is some of the boss battles can drag on for hours not because its hard but the battle speed is so slow.

2. Chrono Cross
    1. Final Fantasy VII

Onion Kid

Lightbulb

I would have to say the best rpg I've ever played was probably the first one I ever played. Simply because it opened me up to the world of rpg's (Might and Magic 8) out it may have been 7 I don't really remember lol but that being said I try and play any of the MM series now and it's horrible... But the best really depends on what part of the rpg your into. For some it may be the fight style or the story or the game play it's self. I prefer game play and how indepth the game is meaning skill usage along with item randomness. My choice in rpgs would have to be Ultima online. By far the best game I've ever played. Sorry for misspellings i'm using my tablet.

You ever played Dark Messiah of Might & Magic? That was one of the best rpgs imo. Love that game. Then again, that's the first ever Might & Magic game I've ever played. I never played any of them.
    Last edited by DoDoRay9000; 09-09-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Grand Shriner
    I recently gave this some more thought, added in games I'd played recently for consideration etc. I still thinking picking just one game is impossible, so I instead narrowed it down to a Top 10 (in no particular order).

Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness.
    Final Fantasy 7.
    Knights of the Old Republic 2.
    Star Ocean: Til the End of Time.
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3.
    Fallout: New Vegas.
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.
    Mass Effect (the first game only!)
    Final Fantasy 8.
    Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.

These are all games that I consider to be the very best RPGs that I have played, the ones that meant the most to me and spoke to me on a personal level. There are a great many which I enjoyed, but can't include for one reason or another - games such as KOTOR 1, FF8, FF12, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Space, Dragon Age Origins etc etc. Great games, but they don't quite have what it takes to make the main list.

I vote for the following:

Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy VI (aka Final Fantasy III in North America)
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Star Ocean: Til the End of Time

Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    I recently gave this some more thought, added in games I'd played recently for consideration etc. I still thinking picking just one game is impossible, so I instead narrowed it down to a Top 10 (in no particular order).

Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness.
    Final Fantasy 7.
    Knights of the Old Republic 2.
    Star Ocean: Til the End of Time.
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3.
    Fallout: New Vegas.
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.
    Mass Effect (the first game only!)
    Final Fantasy 8.
    Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.

These are all games that I consider to be the very best RPGs that I have played, the ones that meant the most to me and spoke to me on a personal level. There are a great many which I enjoyed, but can't include for one reason or another - games such as KOTOR 1, FF8, FF12, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Space, Dragon Age Origins etc etc. Great games, but they don't quite have what it takes to make the main list.
    Incomplete and all.

FF12 > FF8

xD
    V for Valhalla

Grand Shriner
    I wanted to put it in my list, really I did. But the second half of FF12 is terrible - Vayne goes from being closely involved in the story, getting up to all kinds of machinations and villainy, to only having 1 before the ending. Ba'Gamnan doesn't even show up again in the main story, being relegated to a side quest, plus Vaan suddenly stops mattering, and practically stops existing for large sections of the game. In terms of locations, the visit to the enemy capital becomes a glorified scavenger hunt, fetching and carrying bits and bobs for random people - to get a chop, whatever the hell that's supposed to be! And the Nabreus Deadlands and the Necrohol of Nabudis, which have been seen in dreams and visions as being important, are relegated to optional status, and play no part in the story!

Grinds my gears that this happened to what was up until then, a strong contender for the best Final Fantasy game of the whole series (practically a lock, really). As for FF8, well each to their own. For my part, I found (and still do find) Squall's escape from the Spidertron, the assassination attempt on Edea in Deling City and the Battle of the Gardens to be the most exciting, most adrenalin pounding moments in FF. The game crosses the line in the second half, when the story goes completely off the rails, but there's still enough great moments that I forgive it (Ragnarok clawing its way into the Lunatic Pandora is awesome, and though it makes very little sense, the scene where the moon 'bleeds' monsters onto the planet is cool as hell). Plus, it still has the best end sequence of any FF game IMO (although being offered the chance to resurrect Tidus and being allowed to say Hell No! in FFX-2 was a priceless moment I shall treasure forever!)

I wanted to put it in my list, really I did. But the second half of FF12 is terrible - Vayne goes from being closely involved in the story, getting up to all kinds of machinations and villainy, to only having 1 before the ending. Ba'Gamnan doesn't even show up again in the main story, being relegated to a side quest, plus Vaan suddenly stops mattering, and practically stops existing for large sections of the game. In terms of locations, the visit to the enemy capital becomes a glorified scavenger hunt, fetching and carrying bits and bobs for random people - to get a chop, whatever the hell that's supposed to be! And the Nabreus Deadlands and the Necrohol of Nabudis, which have been seen in dreams and visions as being important, are relegated to optional status, and play no part in the story!
    Those kind of complains, IMO are what made it a more realistic experience to me. Nabudis was a place full with monsters after the explosion, there wasn't any point in making it a plot device to resolve around it. But yeah, many things were a mess still. Like the Ba'Gamnan subplot and the Chop subquest, but seriously after the crystals at giza plains and the shouting at Bujherba, another stupid minigame wasn't any issue, albeit to be expected.

As for FF8, well each to their own. For my part, I found (and still do find) Squall's escape from the Spidertron, the assassination attempt on Edea in Deling City and the Battle of the Gardens to be the most exciting, most adrenalin pounding moments in FF. The game crosses the line in the second half, when the story goes completely off the rails, but there's still enough great moments that I forgive it (Ragnarok clawing its way into the Lunatic Pandora is awesome, and though it makes very little sense, the scene where the moon 'bleeds' monsters onto the planet is cool as hell). Plus, it still has the best end sequence of any FF game IMO (although being offered the chance to resurrect Tidus and being allowed to say Hell No! in FFX-2 was a priceless moment I shall treasure forever!)

Yeah, FF8 has strong FMV sequences, the best out of all the series possibly and the most unsettling ones (the time-compression sequence remains as my favourite of the game). And Disc 1 is really good. But it gets so, so, so ,so , so corny after that and the story doesn't care to justify a bit of anything (Finding Elone for absolutely nothing for example), that makes it impossible for me to appreciate it as 7, 4 or 12. And the Cast of Characters were not really good IMO.

Plus, FF8 has the most broken gameplay in all the series. And this is very very very true.

FF12 still manages to pull off in terms of story and characters even though things get messy after meeting Gran Kiltias. And the FMV Sequences are on par with FF8 too, plus the scenery is gorgeous. The first time you reach the Ridorana Cataract is sublime.
    Last edited by topopoz; 09-10-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Grand Shriner
    I prefer FF8 over FF7, and i don't hate tidus either, which is weird since so many people hate him.Tactics is fun too, but i have to complete.
    What about suikoden 1,2 and 5?

and which is the best star ocean? vrykolas?

star ocean is the sky pirates right? Is it like a strategy rpg?

Grand Shriner
    Sorry for the late reply on this (broken computer - arrrghh!)

Star Ocean is like Star Trek in many ways. Its got a Federation for example, and they have a non-interference with alien worlds policy etc etc. Your main characters tend to belong to this, but you also have aliens, several of whom do qualify for the term 'Sky Pirates'. Being a JRPG, it works in people using swords and supernatural monsters etc into the mix though, of course. They're basically standard JRPGs, with much better combat systems than you usually get in such games (its all real time, free moving, swap between party members whenever you like etc etc). Because the stories aren't confined to single worlds, they tend to be pretty epic in scope, and there's always *tons* to do, in terms of side quests, dungeons etc. The post game content for Star Ocean 3+4 is particularly worthy of praise, with several big dungeons at much harder difficulty levels, some of which have extra story content as well.

For my money, Star Ocean 3 (also known as Til the End of Time) is by far the best one. Big sweeping story, proper build up with good payoff, loads of locations and variety, quite a lot of leeway in choosing who you have in your permanent party. Its a great game.

As for Tidus - I wouldn't like him much anyway, but its his voice actor that really seals the deal on me disliking him. The guy bellows at the top of his voice, and its just grating. Between all the shouting and boasting and crying, Tidus is perhaps the greatest single reason why I never intend to play FF10 ever again.

Yeah, Final Fantasy IX. VII, VIII, X and XII are amazing too. Trust me, I have tried to broaden my horizons, but every time I just end up coming back to these games, there is no comparison.

Sorry if I should have posted this in a different thread. I see there are a few the same.

May I ask what the hell an "Onion Kid" is? k3nny1550's Avatar
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, bar none. Best RPG I've ever played.

Close runner up would probably be Xenogears or Mass Effect 2.
    Resonance of Fate is also worth a look.
    This space is intentionally blank.

Shriner
    Xenogears - 3 battle systems (human, gear (mech), and Arena Mode (real time fighting)), Compelling story line with amazing progression and character development, Innovative use of 3d and Pixel sprites as well as CG and 2D animation sequences, Amazing music by none other than Yasunori Mitsuda. Questions?

Pokemon Ruby has a special place in my heart.
    Password_is_FrankerZ
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Wild Arms - best PS1 has to offer.
    But other than that, I love above all:
    Might and Magic: Xeens,
    Might and Magic VI - The Mandate of Heaven and
    Might and Magic VII - For Blood and Honor.
    I like Might and Magic VIII - The Day of the Destroyer, but it's not as good as four previous games.
    I also happen to love TES III: Morrowind.

Final Fantasy: VII... maybe Final Fantasy: V is better, I haven't finished it.
    ?

the best rpgs I have played is

Final Fantasy Tactics
    Chrono Trigger
    Breath of Fire 3
    Rhapsody a musical adventure
    Seiken Densetsu 3

I just love the music and the story in all these games♥
    ♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Cross.
    My wishlist

Interview With The Vampire (complete)
    Hannibal (complete)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (complete)
    Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (@320 kbps)

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatKenji View Post
    Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Cross.
    O_O

Isn't comparing something as mediocre as FF7 to such a great game like CC, I don't know...heresy or something?

Onion Kid
    Chrono Trigger is still in the first place for me - Good story, Character development, Battle system, many endings, secrets, etc..
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - The first RPG I finished and I like how we get more items and tools to continue our adventure :P
    Final Fantasy 4 - From a Dark Knight to a Paladin, a nice storyline
    Final Fantasy 7 - Nice story and Gameplay System

Quote Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
    O_O

Isn't comparing something as mediocre as FF7 to such a great game like CC, I don't know...heresy or something?
    It doesn't seem like he's comparing them. To me, they seem a little too different to be compared.

Onion Kid
    Lost Odyssey, incredibly underrated. The battle music is outstanding.

The Mario & Luigi series. I'm torn between Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story for being my favorite. Hopefully Dream Team for the 3DS will also be as good as the previous 3 games.
    Want to know how to give reputation points? Find out [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

might and magic 9
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] game pokemoncraft fan

i like [Hidden link. Register to see links.] of pokemoncraft most and suggest you

to join the advanture