Thread: Battles that you are supposed to loose?

Battles that you are supposed to loose?

Hey guys. Not really a topic of much importance. I'm just curious.

I've been playing Skies Of Arcadia (again, for the 3rd time lol) for the past couple days. I just passed the part where Ramirez shows up on my once-deserted island and beats the shit out of everyone, and I got to thinking. In what other RPGs (preferrably on SNES, PSOne, Saturn and earlier consoles) are there battles that you are supposed to loose in order to continue on with the story? In other words, battles that you simply cannot win no matter how hard you try.

Thanks.

~*~*~ FIGHT SMACK IN THE ORPHANAGE's Avatar
    I could only list a few, so here's some lists
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Because Orphans Don't Have Parents

With a username like yours, I have to ask: Where you abandoned by your parents and raised in a Orphanage? If so, that explains a lot. If not, that still explains a lot.

Grand Shriner
    Tiga from breath of fire 2:He is unbeatable,no matter how much damage you do.
    The knights in ff2 are supposed to be unbeatable,but that is only because you don-t have enough stat builds.If you were to use a game genie or hack and raise your stats,you could beat them.

Oh yeah,i forgot another:

The queen ant in suikoden 1.

You cannot beat her,because she has an infinite amount of hp.

Nice! Thanks guys. This is a good start.

Wasn't there a battle against Luca in Suikoden II that you couldn't win? I think it might've been a party battle. It's been a while. I need to go back and beat that game.

Grand Shriner
    At the end of the tutorial for Demon's Souls, literally minutes after starting the game, you have a huge monster called Vanguard. He kills new characters in one chop, and the battle takes place in a cramped room, only just big enough to fit him in, so you have nowhere to escape to. He can be killed (if you are playing a New Game+ with a hard character), but for new gamers, this is a battle you must lose.

The thing is, even if you do beat him, another even harder boss shows up in a cutscene and kills you anyway!

I remember Yggdrasil being one of these kinds of bosses too, in Tales of Symphonia. The first time you meet him, you can only deal 1 point of damage to him with each hit, and he can waste the party in seconds.

CC
    . . . The word is lose, brah *SMH* Anyway, I can only think of the General Leo / Kefka battle in FFVI, and the final fight in Crisis Core: FFVII. I really need to start playing some different games >.<

Kain from Final Fantasy IV.

Also kinda weird no one mentioned but FFVII's Sephiroth's Nova, one would expect to get a instant Game over after being hit by that move loool.
    YouTube Page: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner InfernalAvalanche's Avatar
    The initial battle versus Vile in the beginning of MegaMan X. I know it's not from an RPG, but it's the only example I can think of.

The first time you fight bass in battle network 3

Quote Originally Posted by InfernalAvalanche View Post
    The initial battle versus Vile in the beginning of MegaMan X. I know it's not from an RPG, but it's the only example I can think of.
    I remember that one, and I rather enjoyed the challenge of seeing how long I could go without getting hit. Another unwinnable fight I seem to recall was in Super Mario RPG... I just can't remember which fight it was.
    Ask me about the Final Fantasy Nexus Oekaki RP board!
    finalfantasynexus.synergize.co

final fantasy 9. there's 3 points in the game you have to fight Beatrix. none of those battles are winnable. There's also the first battle against Kuja while you're on Terra. it looks like you won the battle when you really didn't.

Disgaea 2. When you fight Etna and Laharl in seperate battles during the story. if u win either of those battles, they lead to a new cycle.

there's also Final Fantasy 4. the first Dark Elf battle before Edward plays his flute and makes things easier for Cecil and company.

one more i'll mention. Final Fantasy 2. the very beginning of the game where you're forced to fight against 4 Black Knights. they kill you before you can even try to hurt them.

Quote Originally Posted by BasilCulex View Post
    Kain from Final Fantasy IV.

Also kinda weird no one mentioned but FFVII's Sephiroth's Nova, one would expect to get a instant Game over after being hit by that move loool.
    that attack deals damage equal to 90% of all your party member's HP. it's surprisingly not like FF6 Kefka's or Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2's Sephiroth's Heartless Angel. Besides, that's a Final Boss battle, not an unwinnable one.
    my rare game soundtracks thread: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    my extended game music loops thread: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

other great threads:

The first time you fight Seath The Scaleless in Dark Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    The first time you fight Seath The Scaleless in Dark Souls.
    Of course, that's a deliberate echo to the fight in Demon Souls which is also unwinnable and already mentioned.

Onion Kid
    The final boss of Disc 1 of Tales of Destiny. Thing is, though, if you level-grind enough, you can beat him... but are 'rewarded' by a non-standard game over. Instead of continuing with the plot, your characters return home... and are destroyed when the real endboss comes to power.
    Whoops.

Onion Kid
    Tales of Graces F. Can't kill a certain brotherly somebody, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU GRIND. Story purposes ftw.

.....lossless.... Dragoon Knight's Avatar
    final fantasy crisis core I've been busting my oss off to see if the ending would change lol. I did not want to believe it , read it or hear it in-till i done it myself Doesn't matter what I do they get stronger even with all the slots in your favor it still matter less and u will just have to submit to them at the end, which makes it a Very sad ending too! its like a gang fight and its endless u take a brainless punk and another comes crawling out of the wall....

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    @Megashi : Thread is Dead. Leave it that way. Closed.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun