Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crysta's Console Saga Thread

Crysta's Console Saga Thread

I'm not looking to start a argument, but i am serious stuck here.

I have a choice between a PS3 and a Xbox 360.

I've done some of the pros and cons such as price and how certain games i like are only available on each system. Pricewise i like the Xbox 360. But is it really any better then a nigh $300 PS3? I just don't know, and i am burning brain cells trying to come up with a decision.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Only difference imo between them, is the PS3 has Blu-Ray capability and it's games are on Blu-Ray discs. The Xbox 360 doesn't. Both have their faults; PS3 has the Yellow Ring/Dot of death while the 360 has the Red Ring/Dot of Death; PS3 has the PlayStation Network which is free, whereas the 360 has Xbox Live which is a subscription service which you pay via 1, 3 or 12 month subscription.

Initially, both consoles had the same game libraries, with developers making a game for one and then porting it to the other (I'm using Volition's Saints Row 2 as my example here). Ultimately though, it comes down to what games you like and which offers the best opportunity for you to enjoy. My advice, go and see if your local video store hires out PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles, hire one and a few games and see what you like, then you can make a informed decision from your own testing. Personally, I'm a 360 user and have no intention of getting a PS3, as some of the games I'm after, I already have on my 360 and I'm not too fussed about the PS3 exclusives.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Just get whatever you personally fits you best. You know you have a leaning towards one over the other... so just go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arigeitsu159 View Post
    Just get whatever you personally fits you best. You know you have a leaning towards one over the other... so just go with that.
    But that's the problem! I'm stuck dead center! I wanna play DMC4 but I also wanna play the Halo series! I want the better graphics and coolness of the PS3, but i also want to affordability of the XBOX 360. Not to mention i hear it has a better game lineup! What to do, what to do.

each system has their shiny stars.
    the xbox has a lot more though.
    when you do get the xbox, give me your GT please
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    because if life is a bitch, im gonna make her MY BITCH
    i now legally posess a phd in zombies.

on february 23, 1987, two things happened: the first documentable supernova visible with the human eye, and my birth. in other words, i was blessed by the universe itself. not many can say that

~*~*~ FIGHT SMACK IN THE ORPHANAGE's Avatar
    Just go make your own list of the exclusives on each console.

The PS3 has more great exclusives, imo. There's also more variety in its exclusives.

Devil May Cry 4 is on the 360 as well, if you didn't know.

Multiplatform games will generally look a bit better on the 360. I don't know what you mean by the coolness of the PS3.

Is there even that much of a price difference between the 360 and the PS3? It seems to me both are hovering around the $300 area.

Both have their faults; PS3 has the Yellow Ring/Dot of death while the 360 has the Red Ring/Dot of Death
    Comparing YLOD to RROD is like comparing something that is pretty uncommon to something that was (once) really common. Why would you do that?
    Because Orphans Don't Have Parents

With a username like yours, I have to ask: Where you abandoned by your parents and raised in a Orphanage? If so, that explains a lot. If not, that still explains a lot.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT SMACK IN THE ORPHANAGE View Post
    Comparing YLOD to RROD is like comparing something that is pretty common to something that was (once) really common. Why would you do that?
    Just saying that both do have hardware faults, which cover a majority of smaller problems.

I edited my post before and accidentally edited out the "un" in uncommon and you've caught that in your quote. Woops...

IDX
    Silent Shriner #0
    Get the 360 because I have one

And just so you know, even though the 360 says it can play games in 1080p, it really doesn't. But the PS3 does. The difference was huge when I was playing Black Ops on a friend's PS3 while I have it for the 360.

Are you sure that isn't an issue with your TV or cables? The 360 and PS3 don't actually play Black Ops (or just about any other game) at 1080p. The 360 plays the game at 1040x608 while the PS3 plays it at 960x544, both with 2xMSAA.

If you go read this [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and watch some of the videos, you should be able to see the 360 version does look a little better. Like I said before, this is pretty normal for multiplatform games. I don't find the difference in visuals to be much of an argument against the PS3 though.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm still kind of fence siting for now. One of the exclusive series i'm really interested in is Ratchet & Clank. So that may tip the balance in PS3's favor. But Halo is so godlike.

Is there even that much of a price difference between the 360 and the PS3? It seems to me both are hovering around the $300 area.
    The Xbox360 S with a 4GB hard drive is hovering at 200$ as far as I know. It's definitely cheaper where I live. So, I suppose that might be what he's referring to. Although I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Getting a current gen console (except the Wii) without a hard drive is pretty ridiculous, imo.

OT: Well, we can't really help you if you don't tell us what it is you're looking for. I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever one you pick, especially since most games these days are multiplatform, meaning you're not gonna miss out on too much. You mentioned you really like Halo, so you might as well get a 360, since you won't find Halo anywhere else. But I don't think any console is worth buying for just 1 game. Just give us some more specifics and we'll try and help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    The Xbox360 S with a 4GB hard drive is hovering at 200$ as far as I know. It's definitely cheaper where I live. So, I suppose that might be what he's referring to. Although I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Getting a current gen console (except the Wii) without a hard drive is pretty ridiculous, imo.

OT: Well, we can't really help you if you don't tell us what it is you're looking for. I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever one you pick, especially since most games these days are multiplatform, meaning you're not gonna miss out on too much. You mentioned you really like Halo, so you might as well get a 360, since you won't find Halo anywhere else. But I don't think any console is worth buying for just 1 game. Just give us some more specifics and we'll try and help you out.
    Well one question i do have is about the PS3. Is the extra size in a hard drive worth it? I was gonna get 40 gigs. But i heard that some games take up five plus gigs in save files and downloading a part of itself on the HD. Is that true?

It's not worth it. It's necessary.

Yes, everything is true. There are VERY few games which have the decency to ask you whether you want to install them (mostly exclusives, last ones I remember are Folklore and Valkyria Chronicles). It's not anything annoying, doesn't really take long to do, but the hard drive space is gonna fill up. Fast. They're selling the PS3 Slim with large HDD's now so it shouldn't be a problem. The 160 GB version will suffice. Don't know where exactly you were planning to buy a 40GB one, pretty sure they've ditched the old models. You can check how much space game data is gonna take on the back of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    The Xbox360 S with a 4GB hard drive is hovering at 200$ as far as I know.
    Oh right, I was looking at the wrong one. The Slim that comes with a 250GB hard drive is $300, which is obviously the same price as the PS3. I agree that getting a console with 4GB of storage is probably a bad idea.

Just to kill some preconceptions - the PS3 is not graphically superior to the Xbox 360. The much touted Cell multi-core processor is handicapped by an atrociously low amount of RAM, and very thin bandwidth to parse graphics - hence the huge installs for games with large textures. Both consoles say they display in 1080p, but as chewey said, most games aren't that high a resolution. The only two I can think of off the top of my head are Gran Turismo 5 and WipeOut HD, both of which sacrifice small details for large, pretty textures.

There are really only two factors to consider - one, if it's going to be a gaming console or a general entertainment machine. My PS3 gets more use than my X360, not because I play more games on it - i've got about 10 PS3 games compared to my 50 and growing 360 collection - but because it's a Blu-ray player. If you love movies, blu-ray is the way to go, and PS3 is the most cost effective way to get a top-of-the-line blu-ray player. That said, in the US, the X360 has Netflix with streaming HD movies for the price of a subscription, so that's another option.

The second factor, as has been mentioned, are exclusives. This is the really important one, and what you should base your final decision on. Look at the lists that are posted above, and really ask yourself what games you REALLY want to play - and categories in general. Overall, the Xbox 360 has better first-person shooters and western rpgs; also, the XBL Arcade selection is MUCH better than the PlayStation Store. The PS3, on the other hand, has better platformers, japanese RPGs, and Uncharted. UNCHARTED IS A GENRE NOW. It's called 'awesome'. Multiplatform games perform better on the 360 in general (higher framerate, less stutter) but sometimes look prettier on the PS3 (higher resolution textures). Personally I use my kick-ass laptop to play multiplatform games and get the high framerate AND awesome textures, but i'm an asshole.

If you really can't decide, flip a coin.

If you still can't decide after that, buy one and put the other on layby. And a PSP, because i've recently discovered the under-appreciated little black brick is where Square-Enix's good games have all gone. After playing Birth by Sleep, I don't get people still whinging about not having Kingdom Hearts 3 - it's right there, on the PSP. Seriously. Apart from some slight system limitations, it's easily the best game in the series so far.

Xbox Live and PlayStation Network ID: RaidenexS
    Steam Community ID: Raidensoul

Marceline
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidenex View Post
    That said, in the US, the X360 has Netflix with streaming HD movies for the price of a subscription, so that's another option.
    PS3 has this too.

One thing I have noticed is that, when playing online, less people have mics on the PS3 versus the 360. Personally, I don't think this is a bad thing, but your mileage may very.

In addition to what Raidenex mentioned the PS3 is also good for games where you can create content- stuff like Modnation Racers, Little Big Planet, 3D Dot Game Heroes- and the 360 is the default console for bullet hell games. A surprising amount of them have come out or are expected to come out in North America, so if you like that genre that's probably a big 360 plus.

Modnation Racers was really disappointing imo. All the cool user-created content in the world can't make up for a rubber-band AI and having every weapon be upgradable into a Blue-Shell-FUCK-YOU.

That said, racing as Iron Man in a mini Ferrari is cool.

Also: LittleBigPlanet 2 in a few days! *squee* Really looking forward to this. If the mod community take to it, we'll see some amazing things.,

This may sound a bit crazy but I would say you should get neither.
    These consoles have been out for a while, and if you don't have one by now you should just wait for the next generation to hit.
    Consoles are just snapshots of current technology, so you might be buying something that will drop in value. Unless, that is, you think PS3 and 360 will have a '10 year life cycle'.
    I'd settle for using a friends system until the next thing hits, and as a side note DS3 is coming soon.

Stuff Your Eyes with Wonder Dr Faustus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysta View Post
    Thanks for your help guys. I'm still kind of fence siting for now. One of the exclusive series i'm really interested in is Ratchet & Clank. So that may tip the balance in PS3's favor. But Halo is so godlike.
    The next R & C is 4 player co-op.

"There must be something in books, something we canít imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house... "

Quote Originally Posted by Raidenex View Post
    Just to kill some preconceptions - the PS3 is not graphically superior to the Xbox 360. The much touted Cell multi-core processor is handicapped by an atrociously low amount of RAM, and very thin bandwidth to parse graphics - hence the huge installs for games with large textures.
    I was under the impression you need to install games on the PS3 because it can only manage a 2x read speed.

and Uncharted. UNCHARTED IS A GENRE NOW.
    Might as well expand this to "action/adventure games" imo.

Stuff Your Eyes with Wonder Dr Faustus's Avatar
    Some games have no install, some have an optional install and some have a mandatory install. It's true that Blu-ray drives read slower than dvd.

I am aware of this.

Red
    PS3. Nuff said.

IDX
    Silent Shriner #0
    Are you sure that isn't an issue with your TV or cables? The 360 and PS3 don't actually play Black Ops (or just about any other game) at 1080p. The 360 plays the game at 1040x608 while the PS3 plays it at 960x544, both with 2xMSAA.

If you go read this [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and watch some of the videos, you should be able to see the 360 version does look a little better. Like I said before, this is pretty normal for multiplatform games. I don't find the difference in visuals to be much of an argument against the PS3 though.
    Some guy did something about counting pixels in Halo 3 with some rifle or something. I can't remember since it was a long time ago and then an article was brought to my attention about 360 games being played in only 720p and not 1080p like it says whereas the PS3 is actually capable of doing it. Me and my friend are using HDMI cables for our systems and both of our HDTVs are capable of 1080p. I was able to notice it right away how clearer and "fresher" it looked on the PS3 compared to when I would play it on my 360. But I'm sure everyone knows that in terms of hardware, the PS3 has the better stuff except in like 2 areas. It was in an article on ign.com (I tried looking for it but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack) comparing the two systems.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast