Page 1 of 61 12345671151 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: All-Purpose Silent Hill Thread

Shriner

All-Purpose Silent Hill Thread

hey, i love silent hill. anyone else love it? ive got silent hill 1,2,3 and 4 but have only completed the first 3, the fourth one isnt as good. in my oppinion the first one is the scariest, although it doesnt scare me now but it did when it first came out for some reason the better the graphics get the less scary it is, dunno why that is.

In what order did you play them? Maybe it has to do with you getting used to the atmosphere of the games.

There is also another Silent Hill out, Silent Hill 0, which is currently available for PSP and PS2.

Shriner
    yea silent hill 1 was my first which i played when i was very young. then 2 then 3. i still think the beginning of silent hill 1 is the best of any game. walking down a dark alleyway armed only with a cigarette lighter.........Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I've played 1, 2 and 3... haven't gotten around to 4 yet. But I'd have to say that overall, 2 was my favorite. I've heard that 4 is mediocre at best... I'm still gonna give it a try eventually though. I've got it sittin' on my shelf over there... just have to get off my ass and play it.
    "There's lots of law these days, but not much justice. Celebrities murder their wives and go free. A mother kills her children, and the news people on TV say she's the victim and want you to send money to her lawyers. When everything's upside down like this, what fool just sits back and thinks justice will prevail?"
    -Dean Koontz

Neg
    I'm replaying 2 right now. I've only finished 1-3. I quite fancy all of them.

4, Origins, and Homecoming, in due time

The darkness writhes. execrable gumwrapper's Avatar
    I've only played 1, but never finished it.

Scared the piss out of me back in the day.

The rest don't interest me.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Goren
    Man, I finished 3 and 4. One I dont have
    Two never got to finish it
    Origins have it but not playing at the moment
    Homecoming of coarse im getting it, PS3 version

A weapon of righteousness Ngrplz's Avatar
    Silent Hill was a brilliant series with all four titles.

Origins on the other hand disappointed me. It was too short, too boring, and the system needs something refreshing injected into it or I may fail to show interest toward an upcoming instalment.

~Forever known as Purrr~

So yeah, I've played all and like them all for different reasons.

I think Origins is probably the weakest for scare/survival factor because it allows you to arm yourself with a larger variety of weapons both melee and missile. Can't be too scared when you can just punch the crap out of something. Or bean it with a TV. In that respect it functions more like a battle royale version of SH. While I enjoy grinding monsters into the pavement this kind of dominance seems out of place in a survival horror game.

SH4, I thought, handled the survival aspect quite well since you simply can't stop ghosts for good unless you have special items, which are strictly limited in numbers, so there is always a credible threat roaming around. The story has almost nothing to do with the core SH plot sans a few referential locations, but still creepy.

I know almost nothing about SH Homecoming besides the inclusion of a rich physics engine, but hopefully it won't be as weak as Origins.

It's a Denise original! Marshall Lee's Avatar
    I've beaten 2 and 3, started a game on 1 but haven't beaten it yet.

Neg
    I started with 3 (because of a friend's insistence), and I really think that helped me appreciated Harry. Still, the plots of 1 and 3 seem wonky despite my love of Mr. Mason and (especially) his beautifully twisted daughter. I think because of this I came to appreciate the series for its environments and atmosphere, moreso than for its plots. That of course changed when I finished 2. I honestly found it pretty banal and meh, until...

(spoiler about end of SH2)
    Spoiler!

Still, I love revisiting locations, and find the majority of my joy with the series in them. That being said, What say we talk about our favorite environments/locations?

1: The School--easily has my favorite transistion to the hell/nightmare side of SH that I've seen so far. Going through the clocktower. *sigh* The piano puzzle is probably my favorite in the game (Not saying it was the most difficult). Plus, I honestly feel like this installment focused too much on outside environments. A "problem" that was phased out pretty nicely, imo

2.: Lakeside Hotel--The transistions and hell sides were the weakest in 2, to me. But, the hotel was sprawling and delightful, nonetheless. It houses the moment discussed in the above spoiler, and a favorite (if overused) mechanic of mine: abandoning your inventory for a stretch of gameplay.

And honestly guys,

Spoiler!

3: Central Square Shopping Center (THE MALL!!!)--Okay, okay. I have a thing for dead malls. Join me: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

GO GO GO!!!

sees through the bs! All Seeing Eye's Avatar
    I played Silent Hill 1-3. I like all of them, but my personal favorite is Silent Hill 2. I think because that game felt like playing a movie mystery to me. Where as the other Silent Hill games felt more like the survival horror game they were intended to be.

The story in Silent Hill 2 is very memorable, and people who don't even play videogames much admit to playing Silent Hill 2.

I never play Silent Hill 4: The Room. The concept just didn't interest me enough. Maybe I'll play it some day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu View Post
    God is love! Mother FUCK you if you don't agree you worthless fucking wretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    . Rap cannot make anyone anymore racist then they already are.
    Throw your 128kbps MP3's in the recycle bin. Enjoy the future! Enjoy Lossless!

Quote Originally Posted by Neg View Post
    What say we talk about our favorite environments/locations?
    Agreed, the school is one of the best locations ever in any SH.

SH2's underground area (maybe under Toluca Lake, can't remember the name) was pretty freaky. Invisible prisoner and whatnot.

SH3, I loved the freaking shopping mall, ironically since I don't like visiting malls at all for reals. Something about an empty mall and that droning song that accompanies it screams something like teenage wasteland. Without a doubt my favourite area.

SH4? The apartment. Why not.
    Spoiler!
    A close second is the hospital with its corridor of 22 randomly placed rooms.

SH0 had the theatre going for it. I enjoyed the concept of placing the mirror on stage. Even though it takes you to pretty different versions of SH, they all manage to be creepy.

Neg
    Quote Originally Posted by doomjockey View Post
    Something about an empty mall and that droning song that accompanies it screams something like teenage wasteland. Without a doubt my favourite area.
    You said this so beautifully

Flattery will get you everywhere.

Neg
    More later, if I feel like scouring deviant properly.

The Great Annihilator
    Silent Hill 2 is probably the pinnacle of flawless video game storytelling and atmosphere. It's like Charles Dickens joining the forum for invader zim fan fiction (Couldn't resist the Yahtzee reference.)

But yeah, great game, replaying the game, and I love having the Chainsaw. Also, how many people here loved using the Great Knife? I did

Also, I actually caught the Silent Hill film.. compared to most video game movies, it was pretty good.. as a movie alone... yeah... not the best, the film didn't adapt well, but the scenes with Pyramid Head were fucking awesome.

Neg
    I have accepted the fact that neither Harry or James is the melee master that Heather is.

Still wish James got a Katana, anyway ;_;;

Neg
    DOUBLE POST STYLEE

I rewatched the movie, and after having played 2, I'm a little up in the air about how I feel about (a) Pyramid Head being in the movie. I've read enough stuff to suggest that they are linked to the town (as evidenced by their appearance in the paintings in the Historical Society, and on the glyph on the noose podium in the prison).

However, their appearance there could easily enough be chalked up to that version of SH being built of James's perceptions. So, should I be upset that they used something unique to James in a movie that for all intents and purposes is refashioned heavily from the original game?

Bonus fun: Having finally played 2, this had me rolling when I was playing earlier tonight [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

XD God, I love Heather~

Spoiler!

So, should I be upset that they used something unique to James in a movie that for all intents and purposes is refashioned heavily from the original game?
    Nah. It's good service to the fans who were probably expecting to see him make an appearance. I think it was a decent thing to do since they couldn't really throw in too many overt references without alienating the mainstream audience. As far as iffy decisions go, I was far more annoyed with the decision to replace Harry's role with a general mother figure...too friggin predictable. Still a good adaptation overall though.

Bonus fun: Having finally played 2, this had me rolling when I was playing earlier tonight [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

XD God, I love Heather~

Spoiler!
    Haha. They take every opportunity to poke fun at James.
    Also, see SH4 for a brief reference. No cutscene though. :/

Now all this Silent Hill talk has made me want to replay SH4.

Neg
    That's fair enough, I suppose.

Apparently you need a SH2 save file on the same memory card to get that easter egg. NO WONDER I NEVER SAW IT BEFORE

Also, supposedly you can see a Robbie balloon outside a window in 4 if you have 3 data.

Man, I love easter eggs like that

you need to have a cleared sh2 file on the same memory card.
    the toilet, the mail, there are 5 references in sh3.

i dont know if you need a sh3 save to see the balloon in 4, i thought that was random
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    because if life is a bitch, im gonna make her MY BITCH
    i now legally posess a phd in zombies.

on february 23, 1987, two things happened: the first documentable supernova visible with the human eye, and my birth. in other words, i was blessed by the universe itself. not many can say that

By the way I just found this sexy sexy pic. One of my favourites thus far.

Neg
    Here go, Purrr:

Omg those are definitely Wincest~

I <3 Heather.....as much as any other gay man should ^^

Page 1 of 61 12345671151 ... LastLast