PDA

View Full Version : Square......to Nintendo.....:(



Saint
06-30-2002, 06:51 AM
I think its juss plain wrong to go to nintendo, they were fine without them. I hope this won't mean they are gonna stop making games for sony, that would so suck..................:mad:

Dr. Lucien Sanchez
06-30-2002, 07:01 AM
I think it would be stupid, Sony deserve Square because its Sony who made Square one of the best game developers on the planet today.
Nintendo, didn't think much of the FF series on there consoles and didn't give Square much credit. :mad: :mad: :mad:

fascist socialist
06-30-2002, 07:14 AM
*bops the thread to General Gaming*

:)

Rabid Monkey
06-30-2002, 08:47 AM
What...are you all talking about?

First, Nintendo and Square were together from just about the start. Let me remind you, had Nintendo not helped bring Final Fantasy I to American not only would Square have gone bankrupt (hence the name "Final Fantasy" as in the last hope for the company) but we NEVER would have had ANY of the later FFs, here or in Japan.

Second, The reason Square had gone to Sony in the past was simply because Sony was offering a more powerful system at the time and it was seemingly impossible for them to pull off the same quality games on the N64 (notice there aren't too many RPG's for the N64). So, though they didn't want to, Sony had to make the jump to the Playstation.

Now, lets get into the decision to go to Nintendo again.

First point on this, why is it BAD to be on multiple systems? It allows them to reach more gamers and make more money... God forbid they *gasp* stay in business! If Square is able to produce games for more than one system then they are able to sell more games, simple as that. Do you really want Square to HAVE to make games for just ONE system and in turn lose money and possibly go out of business? And don't think that isn't a possibility, they DID try their hands at that movie not too long ago and I don't even want to get into how much money they lost with that.

Now, if you're saying this simply because you are Sony fans then you are just not thinking. Sony owns a very large part of Square, meaning the more money Square makes the more money Sony makes, meaning they both will want to make more FFs, meaning YOU all have more FFs to play in the future, and more games by Square for that matter.

So, let me ask again, how is this a bad move by either Square or Sony?

TK
06-30-2002, 10:15 AM
Yeah, seriously. What Vir said. It does not hurt you in any way for Square to make GameCube games, so don't be stupid about it. Personally I think it's very cool that the two have gotten back together.

Kool Ranch
06-30-2002, 12:01 PM
I'm fine with it. I don't plan on getting a GC anytime soon, but Square said it's main focus will remain on the PS2. As long as GC isn't getting anything from Square that PS2 isn't, then I could care less. Plus, it's a bit nastalgic to see Square back with Nintendo.

MogKnight
06-30-2002, 12:54 PM
I still would like to see FF1-6 remakes... though chances of this happening might be slim to nil. They should at least release FF1-3 for GBA since not a lot of us have played FF2 or FF3.

Rabid Monkey
06-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Dj MogK'
I still would like to see FF1-6 remakes... though chances of this happening might be slim to nil. They should at least release FF1-3 for GBA since not a lot of us have played FF2 or FF3.

Hehehe...I have Moggy...through perfectly legal means I assure you ;)

MasteroftheObvious
07-01-2002, 02:43 PM
Square definitely DID start out with Nintendo. Also, the most impressive games, FF1, 4, 5, and 6, were released on nintendo systems. And anyway, it's a smart market move. Why develop only for one system when you can develop for 2? Especially since the PS2 doesn't really seem to be winning any sort of console war.

Alice Wonderbra
07-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Vir
...First, Nintendo and Square were together from just about the start. Let me remind you, had Nintendo not helped bring Final Fantasy I to American not only would Square have gone bankrupt (hence the name "Final Fantasy" as in the last hope for the company) but we NEVER would have had ANY of the later FFs, here or in Japan.

Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi was planning on leaving Square after a couple of games when he first became part of Squaresoft way back in the day. After he finished creating his first game Deathtrap, he decided to make two more game's, and the last game was to be an RPG, still untitled, and since it would be Sakaguchi's final game for Square he decided to call it "Final Fantasy" after the success of Final Fantasy selling on the NES, Sakaguchi and his 26 fellow workers went on to make FFII, and so on. So there ya have it, the truth behind the name of "Final Fantasy" you can check [Only registered and activated users can see links] for the interview I read it in, i also read it in the recent EGM.

Some people think that the series got its name by the then dying Squaresoft. Supposedly, they believed that it was their last strike against the monster, Dragon Warrior (aka Dragon Quest), and they had to get back on track (i personally like the DWs better than FF1). Final meant that it was Squaresoft's last chance. Fantasy meant that Squaresoft was trying to put on a popular game in order to get back on track. However, this theory isn't correct; Sakaguchi is in fact the one who came up with 'Final Fantasy.'

I would embrace their reunion w/ open arms. I can't thank "the big N" enough 4 helping FF get its start. I also loved The Secret of Mana, which is a Square on Nintendo game. It also switched to PS like the FF's w/ The Legend of Mana.

Nintendo NEEDS a touch of Square don't u think?

TK
07-01-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by MasteroftheObvious
Square definitely DID start out with Nintendo. Also, the most impressive games, FF1, 4, 5, and 6, were released on nintendo systems. And anyway, it's a smart market move. Why develop only for one system when you can develop for 2? Especially since the PS2 doesn't really seem to be winning any sort of console war.

Are you mad or something? You do realize the PS2 has been selling insanely fast in both Japan and America since it was released? The PS2 is so far ahead of the other two consoles it's not even funny. When Sony says "We already won the console race" they are actually pretty close to being right.

Jamie
07-01-2002, 07:40 PM
Yeah, like TK said. You have to realize that Sony already has a 2 year lead on the other consoles. The ONLY way Xbox or Gamecube could catch up is to bribe major companies (square, capcom, agetec, ect.) to make games only for them.

Rabid Monkey
07-02-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by LEELOO 5


Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi was planning on leaving Square after a couple of games when he first became part of Squaresoft way back in the day. After he finished creating his first game Deathtrap, he decided to make two more game's, and the last game was to be an RPG, still untitled, and since it would be Sakaguchi's final game for Square he decided to call it "Final Fantasy" after the success of Final Fantasy selling on the NES, Sakaguchi and his 26 fellow workers went on to make FFII, and so on. So there ya have it, the truth behind the name of "Final Fantasy" you can check [Only registered and activated users can see links] for the interview I read it in, i also read it in the recent EGM.

Some people think that the series got its name by the then dying Squaresoft. Supposedly, they believed that it was their last strike against the monster, Dragon Warrior (aka Dragon Quest), and they had to get back on track (i personally like the DWs better than FF1). Final meant that it was Squaresoft's last chance. Fantasy meant that Squaresoft was trying to put on a popular game in order to get back on track. However, this theory isn't correct; Sakaguchi is in fact the one who came up with 'Final Fantasy.'

I would embrace their reunion w/ open arms. I can't thank "the big N" enough 4 helping FF get its start. I also loved The Secret of Mana, which is a Square on Nintendo game. It also switched to PS like the FF's w/ The Legend of Mana.

Nintendo NEEDS a touch of Square don't u think?

Please find me a direct link, otherwise I'm not going to believe what you said, as of now I believe what I read here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Tactical Error #5
07-02-2002, 03:42 PM
I saw all of this coming a long while back. The problem as far as I remember was that Square didn't think too fondly of the 64 with it's limited power and cartridge format. Thats when Nintendo dropped Square like a ton of bricks. Since then Square has been given the cold shoulder whenever they approached Nintendo.
A while back I came across news of the original FF as well as FF2j andFF3j on a little handheld called the Wonderswan Color. As I read these articles I think to myself "Nintendo has got this GBA coming out soon and it would be awesome to play FFIV,V,andVI if the two(Nintendo+Square) would finally bury the hatchet(sp?)."I think a lot of others had similar thoughts.
Here it is a couple of years later and now the GCN has been released. Square seems to like the idea of the connectivity of the Cube and the GBA; Nintendo has set up "Fund Q" for those interested in this connectivity. Thus Square gets their foot back in the door with games based on the Final Fantasy Unlimited anime series and here we are.BTW also in the works is an original FFT title for GBA. No word yet on classic remakes but what's planned so far is a good start in my opinion.

TK
07-02-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Tactical Error #5
I saw all of this coming a long while back. The problem as far as I remember was that Square didn't think too fondly of the 64 with it's limited power and cartridge format. Thats when Nintendo dropped Square like a ton of bricks. Since then Square has been given the cold shoulder whenever they approached Nintendo.


You've got your history a little screwed up. It was Square that left Nintendo, and they never "approached" Nintendo until the GC had already been announced. When they did, what they wanted to do was make FF ports for GBA so they could make some quick cash to help cover the extreme costs of the FF movie. Nintendo said yes, if they commited to creating some exclusive GameCube games, and Square wouldn't go with that deal, so Nintendo didn't let them make GBA games. They never got the "cold shoulder" at all, they just wouldn't agree to Nintendo's (very reasonable) requests.

But now they have, so everything is cool.

Koenma
07-02-2002, 07:03 PM
Well, I never knew too much on the whole articale or history of the Square and Nintendo fued, only that they did FF games together up 'til the 64. Or something like that. And TK seems to be making this pretty logical for my understanding, that because Square didn't like the concept of the 64, they left, and hadn't returned until the GC and GBA. I'm a little unsure of a few more things, but as long their together now, that's good and everything.

I just hope they don't stop working for Sony as well, for us non-GC owners.

Renia
07-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Ahem...I believe that Square and Nintendo were a great collaboration and the original FFs were exceptional. Not only that, but they've both gone farther than FF...but I believe my point has been already made with all your replies.

*ha*

TK
07-02-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Garnets Lover
Well, I never knew too much on the whole articale or history of the Square and Nintendo fued, only that they did FF games together up 'til the 64. Or something like that. And TK seems to be making this pretty logical for my understanding, that because Square didn't like the concept of the 64, they left, and hadn't returned until the GC and GBA. I'm a little unsure of a few more things, but as long their together now, that's good and everything.

I just hope they don't stop working for Sony as well, for us non-GC owners.

Yeah, you need not worry about that. Square's still primarily making PS2 games.

Rabid Monkey
07-03-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Tifa's Knight


Yeah, you need not worry about that. Square's still primarily making PS2 games.

Hehe...probably because Sony might as well own Square... Sony's new slogan: 'All your FF's are belonging to us'

Fujin
07-09-2002, 01:37 PM
I'm fine with Square going to Nintendo as long as any game made for Nintendo is also made for PS2. I think it's kind of stupid to have to pay for more than one system (can you tell I was originally a computer game player? :D Console wars are a foreign concept to me). So if Square wants to remake its games for GC, no problem, but if they make a game for GC that isn't available for PS1 or PS2 I will be very annoyed.

I heard a rumor (or, rather, read it in a video game magazine). You know how Square remade the first three games for WonderSwan Color over in Japan? If WonderSwan doesn't get released here in the US, the rumor has it Square will have the remakes made for GBA. :) I don't own a GBA but it's possible to rent one, right? But how would you save your game on it?

TK
07-09-2002, 04:32 PM
Well, you might be out of luck, Fujin - Square's definately making at least one game that will ONLY be for GameCube, because they're going to be taking advantage of the GC/GBA hookup feature in it. Nintendo plays their cards well - they want exclusive games, not ports. That's how you get ahead.

As for the GBA ones, I imagine they probably will make those ports, as the entire coding job would probably take about a week for one or two people, and the things would sell like CRAZY. How would you save your game, though? You must have gotten into gaming with the PlayStation :p On cartridge-based systems, you just save your game right to the cartridge. No memory card needed.